201 East Jefferson Street
Joliet, IL 60432
Original Architect: F.S. Allen
Restoration Architect: Mary Brush, Brush Architects, LLC
The original core of Joliet Township High School was constructed in 1901 of ‘Collegiate Gothic’ architectural expression and clad with a combination of rusticated Joliet Lemont Limestone and carved Indiana Bedford limestone framing the window and door openings and parapet wall crenelations. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and is also a Will County Landmark. Additions were constructed in 1917, 1922, 1924, 1931, 1990 in a similar architectural expression and cladding material.
The diagnosis of the spalling pattern at the limestone tracery required hand on inspection provided by boom lift and pipe scaffold. All stones were surveyed, sounded, and documented for spalls, cracks, or other deficiencies. The anchorage was determined to be the cause of the spalling as the ferrous metals were corroding on the back side of the stone, forcing the stone outward in the form of cracks and spalls. The fragility of the Joliet Lamont limestone requires special handling for the cleaning process. the natural yellowing of the stone is a patina that is desirable to retain for the complexity of the natural coloration of the facade. Cleaning methods were tested and one was approved for effectiveness of the cleaning as well as the minimal effect on the patina. Extensive bedford limestone replacement will match the original stone in character, dimension, and tooling. The work scope will include the wall section to be affected by the addition. The work is expected to be complete August 2014. The building will remain occupied for the duration of the restoration.